THE CROWSNEST GUIDE TO THE BREAK UP AND SELL OFF OF THE BRITISH RAILWAY SYSTEM
The following is the text of a letter from Brian Scott, Managing Director of Great Western Trains Company Limited to GWTCL passengers.
I am delighted that the franchise, for a minimum of seven years, has been awarded to Great Western Holdings Limited, the company established to secure the trains company on behalf of its managers and employees, and committed to a continuing programme of customer service improvements.
As part of that commitment, we are to implement a number of measures to improve the quality of theservice we provide:
* Great Western is introducing its own Passenger's Charter which exceeds the scope of the previous British Rail Charter in a number of key areas. The Great Western Charter sets out clearly commitment to customer service delivery.
* Our High Speed Trains will be refurbished to provide 'as new' interiors and they will be repainted in a fresh livery.
* It will be much easier to obtain information from the Telephone Enquiry Bureaux.
* Special facilities for business travellers and families are envisaged as part of a comprehensive product development package.
* We will run at least as many trains as now overall, with the intention of increasing the number of services and improving journey times.
* We have promised to safeguard services to the West of Wales and Penzance, including the West of England Sleeper.
* Other developments include the re-introduction of Motorail between London and the South West and study into the feasibility of tilting trains to cut journey times.
Our commitment remains to the delivery of a consistent, safe and reliable service.
Thank you for travelling Great Western.
Great Western Trains Company limited